mith

Mith's Bookshelf

Just testing the waters here, and still hoping GR gets it together soon!

Kinslayer
Jay Kristoff
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
VIcious
Victoria Schwab, Victoria Schwab
The Warlock - Michael Scott As the rest of the books in the series, this one was just OK, as well. Before I begin, I want to say that if I read the line "Nicholas Flamel is dying" one more time, I won't be responsible for my actions.

Now, the problem with the book, and indeed the rest of the series, is that there are just too many characters being introduced every so often. And somehow ALL of them are related to each other. keeping track of all these relations becomes tedious. Also, every single charcter ever introduced in the books turns out to be either an Elder or a Next generation or an Immortal. It is highly convenient and unrealistic.

The main flaw in the series is that NONE of the characters evoke any sort of affection. Scott fails in character development. Apart from Scathach, Machiavelli and Dare, everybody else is just flat, unintersting and unlikable. I get that the author is trying to create a mystery of sorts about the real intentions of the Flamels but honestly five books is just way too long to reveal where exactly they stand in all this.

One redeeming fact is that the myths and legends brought to life in the books are extremely interesting. Some of them I had never even heard of before. Clearly Scott has done his research.

Unfortunately, I glossed over all the Scathach bits in this book. They were just too uninteresting and redundant. The finale was surprising but unbelievable (and not in a good way)