mith

Mith's Bookshelf

Just testing the waters here, and still hoping GR gets it together soon!

Kinslayer
Jay Kristoff
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
VIcious
Victoria Schwab, V. E. Schwab
The Lover's Dictionary - David Levithan I'm finding it difficult to review this book - I'm unable to find the right words. So, you'll forgive me if I borrow Maninee's because a better description for this book, I cannot find -

[The author's]writing is beautiful, melodious. The words sort of wash over you. They give you a feeling like you’re floating on water, arms spread out as the tide carries you away, and you’re staring up at the picture the words paint for you.

I cried. I'll admit it. Anyone and everyone who has ever been in and out, or has been lucky enough to never fall out, of love will find something they can relate to in this book. Written in the form of dictionary entries, with only a handful of words, Leviathan skillfully manages to capture the highs and lows of being in love. The writing is raw and emotional and gets you from the word go.

The quotes (oh, the quotes!) are something that'll stay with you a long time after you've turned the last page -

People often say that when couples are married for a long time, they start to look alike. I don’t believe that. But I do believe their sentences start to look alike.

There has to be a moment at the beginning when you wonder whether you’re in love with the person or in love with the feeling of love itself.

You leaned your head into mine, and I leaned my head into yours. Dancing cheek to cheek. Revolving slowly, eyes closed, heartbeat measure, nature’s hum. It lasted the length of an old song, and then we stopped, kissed, and my heart stayed there, just like that.

The natural state. Our moods change. Our lives change. Our feelings for each other change. Our bearings change. The song changes. The air changes. The temperature of the shower changes.
Accept this. We must accept this.

That first night, you took your finger and pointed to the top of my head, then traced a line between my eyes, down my nose, over my lips, my chin, my neck, to the center of my chest. It was so surprising, I knew I would never mimic it. That one gesture would be yours forever.

When I say, "Be my lover", I don’t mean, "Let’s have an affair". I don’t mean, "Sleep with me". I don’t mean, "Be my secret". I want you to be the one who loves me. I want to be the one who loves you.

Sometimes it becomes a contest: Which is more stubborn, the love or the two arguing people caught within it?

That’s the dilemma, isn’t it? When you’re single, there’s the sadness and joy of only me. And when you’re paired, there’s the sadness and joy of only you.

HIGHLY recommended. You won't be able to help but fall in love with love all over again. My only gripe with this book is that it was too short!