mith

Mith's Bookshelf

Just testing the waters here, and still hoping GR gets it together soon!

Kinslayer
Jay Kristoff
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
VIcious
Victoria Schwab, V. E. Schwab
The Future of Us - Jay Asher, Carolyn Mackler What would you do, if you could sneak a peek at your future?

Fifteen-year olds Josh and Emma have somehow stumbled upon Facebook in the year 1996 when AOL was still taking baby steps and dial-up was the only way you could connect to the internet. There they see their lives spread out in front of them in the form of status updates and profile pictures.

Unable to restrain themselves they begin tampering with their present so that they can have the perfect future they always wanted. Unfortunately, they quickly realise that everything they say or do or even think can create ripple effects and change their future right before their eyes. But then again, is what they see on Facebook how they want their lives to end up as?

----------------------------------------------------

The premise involving the "Butterfly Effect" is very interesting and is something that I've been fascinated with for a long time. The fact that something as innocuous as an idle thought can affect the rest of your life is mind-blowing and I wish there was a career to be made out of simply pondering, and hopefully unraveling, life's mysteries - I would happily spend the rest of my life doing it!

The authors could have done so much with such an amazing story line but I felt it was a bit underused in a chick-lit novel - It would have seemed more at home in a dystopian setting, in my opinion. However, be that as it may, the book was a nice, engaging read - nothing to write home about but one that kept me interested enough to devote an afternoon to it.

The characters were a bit lacking in their development. Emma was your usual angsty, whiny, teenage-y girl who couldn't make up her mind about which guy she likes the most. Josh was more likeable than Emma but that's about it on him. The secondary characters Tyson and Kellan were MUCH more interesting and I wish the focus had been a bit more on them and their future, than the other two.

3.5 stars. Give it a try.