mith

Mith's Bookshelf

Just testing the waters here, and still hoping GR gets it together soon!

Kinslayer
Jay Kristoff
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
VIcious
Victoria Schwab, V. E. Schwab
Micro - Michael Crichton, Richard Preston 3.5 stars out of 5.

This book can be summed up in one gif -

Disclaimer: A little suspension on disbelief is required by the reader to read Micro (or any other MC book, for that matter).

Nanigen is a robotics company which recruits seven graduate students (each from a different field) as part of its research team. Nanigen is light-years ahead in its technology, seeing as how its scientists have come up with a "tensor generator" which is able to shrink humans to micro sizes. Teams have been successfully shrunk and sent into the forests to study micro-organisms, most of which have never even been identified by mankind till now.

As it turns out, the CEO of Nanigen is a bad, bad man. Because of a scandal that one of the graduates uncovers, the CEO, in his rage, shrinks the graduates and abandons them in the forest teeming with predetors of all sizes. The seven of them have to survive against all odds and return back to normal size somehow before the "micro-bends" (a suddenly manifesting disease that causes internal hemorrhaging which eventually leads to death) gets them.

A classic Crichton book. I can honestly say I'll never be able to look at the world around me the same way again. We never usually pay attention to all the tiny creatures in and around us - the millions of bacteria inside us, the pretty butterflies flitting around, the centipedes, millipedes and ants crawling everywhere, the strange unnamed worms or mites we (I) carefully step around - in our day-to-day life but Crichton brings them to attention in a horrifyingly gripping way (I had to put down the book many times because I was too grossed out to continue!). Let me just tell you now - The ants that you see scurrying around minding their own business are NOTHING like the cute and friendly ants you saw in "Honey, I shrunk the kids", when you are their size.

*shudder*

But it's not all bad, too. Crichton also offers us a glimpse into how the world works from the very heart of it. There is one scene in particular where one of the characters plays with a paramecium - that's a protozoan, usually invisible to the naked eye; I thought that was pretty cool :)

Unfortunately, in the end, I was able to give this book only 3.5 stars. For me, the major let down was the death of, who was till then, the main character. After that the focus shifts to the secondary characters and, while it is definitely unorthodox, it also felt very clumsy to me - maybe it could have been handled better under a different author.. Also, all the deaths in book felt forced. It's like the characters all died just for the sake of dying - none of the deaths had any purpose.

The ending, as well, fell a bit flat but unlike to the destination, the journey was amazing :) Recommended.