mith

Mith's Bookshelf

Just testing the waters here, and still hoping GR gets it together soon!

Kinslayer
Jay Kristoff
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
VIcious
Victoria Schwab, Victoria Schwab
Here, There Be Dragons - James A. Owen Even before I begin to write this review, I know right away that no matter what I say, I'll never be able to do this book justice. I'll try, though.

First, a little background :

"An unusual murder brings together three strangers, John, Jack, and Charles, on a rainy night in London during the first World War. An eccentric little man called Bert tells them that they are now the caretakers of the Imaginarium Geographica -- an atlas of all the lands that have ever existed in myth and legend, fable and fairy tale. These lands, Bert claims, can be traveled to in his ship the Indigo Dragon, one of only seven vessels that is able to cross the Frontier between our world and the Archipelago of Dreams.

Pursued by strange and terrifying creatures, the companions flee London aboard the Dragonship. Traveling to the very realm of the imagination itself, they must learn to overcome their fears and trust in one another if they are to defeat the dark forces that threaten the destiny of two worlds."

Now, before you get any false ideas, do not go into the book expecting an unique and original story. Seeing as the story is set in a place where all the lands (ever written about in fiction), exist, you'll probably find yourself going, "Hey, haven't I read this somewhere, before?", more than once. But do not lose heart - the ending will explain everything.

The main attraction of this book is the author's writing. His love for his work, the world he is building and its characters, shines through in every page. I can give no higher praise.

Here, there be Dragons is fantasy in its purest form. A grand old adventure on a ship over foreign seas, with magic, dragons, elves, dwarves, goblins, trolls and many more! In these days where "fantasy" is synonymous with vampires and werewolves (ALWAYS with a bit romance thrown in) this book comes as a wonderful breath of fresh air!

And, the ending! Oh, the ending! Sheer cheek, and sheer brilliance on the author's part! :D Without giving anything away, I can safely say that it blew me away! The fantasy geek in me was thrilled to bits! :D

I cannot recommend this book enough to everybody. Fantasy lovers, this one's for you :)