mith

Mith's Bookshelf

Just testing the waters here, and still hoping GR gets it together soon!

Kinslayer
Jay Kristoff
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
VIcious
Victoria Schwab, Victoria Schwab
The Enchantress - Michael Scott Compared to the rest of the books in the series, this was a definite improvement. In fact, after reading "The Enchantress", I realised that the downfall of this series was in its editing. What could have been finished in three books, was unnecessarily dragged on for six and a lot of the lure of these books was lost on the way.

A whole host of superfluous characters and unnecessary diagloue could have been done away with, and this series would have been among the top books in recent fantasy. But alas and alack, it was not to be, so, instead, when I began this book, I found myself in the annoying position wherein I realised that I cared for none of the characters within it, and it took superhuman effort on my part (Mild exaggeration. Mild.) to continue AND finish the book.

Disappointingly, the ending didn't make sense to me. I have no idea what happened and how the things that happened came about. For example, what did "one to save the world, one to destroy it" really mean? Did it actually happen? Who saved it? Who destroyed it? And how did Josh become Marethyu? Was it prophesied? And, if Tsagaglalal's anger was all it took to scare away Bastest and Quetzlcoatl, then WHY, IN GOD'S NAME, didn't she act before?! JESUS! Also, throughout the series, we've been told, time and again, how powerful Sophie and Josh, together, are and how they are capable of untold magic. Bull. Not once, in all of the six, 300-odd pages long, books, have we once been shown that. How many times must I say it - SHOW, DON'T TELL.

All in all, if you have already read the other books, then go ahead with this one - it's a decent enough end to the series. But if not, give it a definite miss.